my maternal grandmother passed away this afternoon. Apparently she passed in her sleep while suffering a heart attack. As my mom said, it was her time to go, and she did live a long life (she was 95), but still, i feel for uncle and auntie next door who have yet to have kids...that she will never know, and i feel for my son who is named after her late husband "Mac" because though he met her, he will never remember her. I am glad she was able to get to know him, and see him through his first birthday I just wish he had an opportunity to have a memory of her. Maybe a story she'd have told him about the great grandfather he was named after. Or a special memory of playing Kings in the Corner over and over and over again like I do, playing with her. Or be able to remember her saying kitty, kitty over and over again to him which made him laugh and smile. She was a great woman, very courageous, smart, very, very funny, comical, beautiful, and though we had rough times when I was a kid (i opposed her a lot for some reason) I think we were able to make amends in the later years. I will always remember playing Kings in the Corner, arguing with her, playing other card games like go fish, gin and gin rummy; I will cherish the Christmas stocking she made for me when i was a kid and even though the quilt i inherited from her wasn't made by her hands, i will still look at it, and think of it as her own creation because that's what my gramma liked to do when she was capable of doing it. The last thing I received from her was a letter in the mail for Mac. A birthday present for him. She wrote a little note wishing him a happy birthday only able to write the month at the top and forgetting to include the date and year. she signed it "loads of love, GT. Grandma Grace" and then proceeded to draw a cute little cat on the bottom of the note. It was so cute I put it on our fridge so it could display itself proudly. Afterall, I am proud of my gramma, and wanted everyone who stood foot in my kitchen to see the cute little kitty on the fridge.
Saturday, September 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sorry to hear about your grandma. Just hearing you write about her, i know that you'll not forget her because you have so many memories. And I'm sure she was quite proud that Mac is named for her late husband. My prayers are with you and Mac today. Just know that Mac now has another angel watching over him. Love ya!
M
Post a Comment