Sunday, March 18, 2007

Mac meets his Daddy

The same day as the hearing that nearly everyone assumed Jose wouldn't appear for, he met his son for the first time. When we first walked into the restaurant, I immediately saw Jose and his girlfriend, Lisa, sitting on the bench of clouds off to the left. I saw his face, a look of excitement and anticipation, but also suspenseful and timid, I walked down the ramp and handed off his 18 month old son. I never noticed his girlfriend was crying. I thought for sure Jose would be, I think he was, but trying his hardest to hold back the tears, trying to remain strong, he looked his son in his eyes and gave him a big smooch on the cheek. Of course with no suprise, Mac welcomed those hands similar to his, their warm embrace, and went to his Daddy. He really enjoyed playing with his Daddy's watch, putting it on his arm, letting it fall off, and waiting for Daddy to pick it up and hand it to him again. He knows how to say Daddy but never once uttered it during the meeting. I never tried to make him say it either. While Mac was not saying Daddy, I made a strong attempt to say it at least once. I managed to get the word out quietly at first, then louder when I felt more comfortable. Afterall, it has been 18 months, actually longer, that I've even thought of having to say that word. It was always somewhat of a forbidden word to speak around Mac. Anyway, I think I was finally able to say it loud enough for Jose to hear several times before the meet was concluded. Not only did it take me awhile to say Daddy, it took Jose a while to say mijo (mi hijo - my son) to Mac. I am proud of Jose for finally gathering the courage to appear and to want to meet his son and be a part of his life. And, I am thankful that the girl he is with is very supportive of him and me as well, and our committment to Mac and a supportive, nuturing, healthy parent/child relationship. Here are the special pictures of that day, the meet, and the beginnings of a wonderful father/son relationship.
















































































4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these so soon, Mik. Sure beats seeing them on your camera with writing blocking them! What an amazing day that was. I hope Jose and little Mac have a wonderful father/son relationship for the rest of their lives.

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

These are precious! How great there were no tears. He seems totally bored with the whole thing.

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I kinda wonder what was going through Jose head while he was holding Andre. If you look at the pictures it seems like he's really thinking about things....or at least that's what I'm reading from it. I still can't believe that they've met. Damn. LOL

Anonymous said...

That last comment was from me Mia