Friday, June 29, 2007

It's a Love Hate Relationship

Most of you know that this past week and the rest of the weeks to come before Mexico, I will be acting as interim daycare provider for Addy who is due to have a new baby in the home the end of July. Right now, I have taken on a second child. His name is Cole, or Coley as we call him, and he is a month or two over a year old. He is built small like Mac but he is not walking yet and therefore makes an easy target for Mac to abuse. I have had Coley with us this past week here at the apartment. It has been rather interesting but good for Mac to have a little-er one around. The first day he was particularly impatient and abusive towards Coley; smacking him, pulling hair, grabbing at his face, etc., and I'd find myself policing all day long. The second day I decided not to get involved as much in their altercations. I don't want Coley to think I will step in everytime and, really, the boys need to work it out on their own. It allows Coley to develop his defensive moves toward Mac. He is learning and has done a great job so far. Of course, if Mac really hits him hard or knocks him over I will intervene, but most of the time now, I just let Coley smack Mac back. I have told Coley, it is OK for him to hit Mac back as Mac needs to learn that what he is doing hurts others.

On the love side of things, Mac really misses Coley when he isn't around. Coley had to leave here early yesterday for a doctor's appointment and was picked up while Mac was down for a nap. Once he awoke, he was asking for Coley (because he wasn't in the living room) and I told him Coley had left. Once I put Mac down to play, he immediately ran into the bedroom (mine) and looked into the pack-N-play to see if Coley was in there. When he wasn't, he paused, came out of the room, said, "Coley.......I YAHH you!!" Yesterday, I gave the boys something to drink, and noticed MAc had walked over to Coley and thought for sure he was going to swat at him or take his sippy. Instead, Mac plopped himself down on the floor right next to Cole, and the two of them sat there for at least 7 minutes or so, drinking their drinks and looking at one another. Here they are, sitting against the wall, sippies in hand, and hangin' out as pals do...

1 comment:

Maria said...

Little man looks so different with his haircut! Awe he's still so cute. I love and miss you both.