Saturday, June 14, 2008

Shooting

Yes, the kind with guns. Tonight, at approximately 11:30pm, I was in my room in the back of the building and heard a sort of rapping sound on a door or window. It was loud and thought that maybe my neighbor's friends were trying to get a hold of her. So, I didn't think anything of it. Then a few minutes later I heard sirens. But, I always hear sirens. I live on a major thoroughfare in a city. So, again, I didn't think anything of it. Then about 10-15 minutes later I was getting sleepy and decided to do my final check of the boy for the night prior to going to bed. I heard someone playing really loud music outside and looked out the window to see police cars and lights at the gas station down the street. At first glance I thought perhaps someone got pulled over and the cops were conducting a DWI. I looked a bit harder and noticed there was a lot of crime scene tape hung up around the gas station. I decided to head downstairs to see what the deal was. I happened to run into my neighbor on my way down who informed me there was a shooting on the corner by the bus stop. The same bus stop I go to every day to take the bus downtown. The cops have the entire gas station taped off, the sidewalk next to the coffee shop blocked off, and an area nearly two blocks south blocked off. Apparently, at least one victim headed south and collapsed down there and was taken to a hospital by ambulance. It wasn't until much later, maybe another 30 minutes did I realize that the rapping sound I had heard earlier were in fact gunshots yards away from my house. I'm totally shocked.



I took this one from the front stoop area.



These two from street level.


And to give somewhat of perspective, this from Mac's bedroom window.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that this would be the way you would catch up in your blog. It doesn't matter if you live in the city. Remember Winnetka. Thank goodness the shots fired tonight did not hit your building and Andre. You'll be interested to know I have been contacted by a victim's community mediation organization that works with the sheriff's department and asked if I want to confront the juvenile and adult who burglarized my home. Not sure if I'll do it. It's part of a rehabilitation program. They both got probation. So glad you are safe.

Love,
Nino